For many people, their dressing isn’t complete until they have a gold chain around their neck. The wonderful thing about them is that they’re beautiful to look at and they match well with almost every type of dressing. However, you must know how to clean your gold chain as much as you love wearing it to maintain its beauty.
How to Clean Gold Chains
There are several ways to clean a gold chain, and the good thing is that most of these methods can be carried out in the comfort of your home. Some of the methods would require you to use some tools that you probably have at home already or are inexpensive to buy.
Method 1 – Using Hot Water And Baking Soda
The hot water and baking soda method is a simple way of cleaning your gold chain and it can also be used on a gold chain that has gemstones attached to it. You need the following things to make your gold chain as good as new using this method:
- A little bowl of hot water
- Half teaspoon of baking powder
- Dishwashing liquid
- Soft-bristled toothbrush
Once you have the things listed above you should take the following easy steps:
Step 1— Place the gold chain into the bowl of hot water and add the baking soda.
Step 2— Leave the chain in the soda and water solution for about 10 minutes and stir it occasionally. You would observe the dirt particles begin to leave the chain and the water solution looking a little dirtier
Step 3— In 10 minutes the specks of dirt on the chain would be loose and easy to clean and the water would not be as hot as it was anymore. Take out the gold chain and put some of the dishwashing liquid on the toothbrush and scrub to remove all the dirt that’s stuck on the chain.
Step 4— Rinse the chain in flowing, clean water until all the dishwashing liquid is completely off.
Step 5— Dry the chain using a handkerchief or towel.
Method 2 – Using Ammonia
Approximately 80% of the ammonia produced by industry is used as fertilizer in agriculture. However, because it is good at breaking down domestic filth or stains from animal fats or vegetable oils, such as cooking grease and wine stains, it is also employed as a cleaning agent. Furthermore, because ammonia evaporates quickly, it is an excellent way to clean your gold chain without any streaks.
The items you require for cleaning a gold chain with this method are a little bit of water and ammonia; when you have them, follow the steps below:
Step 1— Mix some warm water with ammonia; let your mixture be a ratio of 1:6 (1 part of ammonia for 6 parts of water).
Step 2— Put your gold chain in the bowl for only about a minute.
Step 3— Rinse the chain thoroughly with running water when you bring it out of the solution. Ensure you wear rubber gloves when you’re putting your hands into the ammonia and water solution.
The use of ammonia to clean your gold chain is best if you want to remove deep-set grime and residue. However, because of how powerful the cleaner is, you should only use it occasionally as it can break down the pieces over time. Also, you should only use this method on new and undamaged gold chains.
Method 3 – Use A Recommended Cleaning Solution
Some jewelers have custom cleaning solutions that they recommend for their gold chains; these solutions can be purchased in any of their stores or online. The advantage of using these jeweler-recommended cleaning solutions is that you’re certain that they would not contain chemicals that can be harmful to your chain.
Also, some cleaning solutions come in a set that contains other useful things like a brush and polishing cloth. The package of the cleaning solutions usually has the instructions that you need to follow to clean your gold chain; follow these instructions carefully and beware of any warnings too.
Method 4 – Use An Ultrasonic Cleaner
The use of ultrasonic cleaners is the best way you can get professional results when trying to clean your gold chain. These cleaners usually have a part that can contain a cleaning solution and you put your chain in it. They work by using small, fast vibrations on your gold chain in the cleaning solution to rid it of any dirt.
Ultrasonic cleaners work best with bigger gold chains. Also, you have to be careful when you’re using them on chains that have gemstones attached to them because the vibrations can cause any loose stones to fall off. Professional jewelers who use them perform a series of tests to ensure that the stones are properly in place.
Method 5 – Take It To A Professional Jeweler
The most reliable way to clean a gold chain is to take it to the professionals to do it for you. While you might be able to clean the chain on your own, there are some issues that you might run into or cause to your chain that they would be able to avoid.
Also, depending on the metal alloy, there might be steps that they need to take to prevent any damage.
Important Things To Take Note Of When You Clean Your Gold Chain
- When you clean a white gold chain, always try to use silver polish to restore the luster of the chain.
- Always make an effort to clean dirt from the corners and joints of your gold chain.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning goods, such as powder cleansers, on your gold chain; this type of product can easily scratch the gold.
- To avoid scratching your gold chain and reaching into the corners, do not use a firm toothbrush to clean it. The best option is to buy a baby toothbrush or a cleaning set with a soft brush.
- If you have to remove pendants from your chain, keep them in a place where they won’t be lost.
- ALWAYS clean away from the sink to avoid having your chain or pendants fall down your drainage system.
- Do not use household cleaners such as acetone, bleach, or chlorine since the harsh chemicals in them can damage your gold chain.
- Do not use moisturizing cleaners because they often leave a film on the bracelet, which doesn’t look good.
- Always ensure that the cleaning instruments you use are clean and free of any oily contaminants.
Reasons You Should Clean Your Gold Chain
- Firstly, you should clean your gold chain to maintain its beauty. Not cleaning your gold chain would make it lose its luster with time and can even lead to it beginning to blacken in the case of white gold.
- Wearing a chain continuously would cause dirt and germs to begin to gather on the chain and can lead to reactions on your neck if you don’t clean it.
- When solid specks of dirt get stuck between the links of your gold chain it can make it begin to get stiff.
If you buy an original gold chain, it should last you for years and if you maintain it well by regularly cleaning it should keep shining the entire time. Thankfully, cleaning your chain wouldn’t cost you much money or time and it’s easy to do.